West Bengal Electronics Industry Development Corporation Limited (WBEIDCL)
The West Bengal Electronics Industry Development Corporation Limited (WBEIDC), incorporated on 4th February, 1974, is the nodal agency of the Government of West Bengal (GoWB) for developing Information Technology (IT), Electronics and Information Technology enabled Services (ITeS) industries in the State of West Bengal. It is under the administrative control of Department of Information Technology and Electronics (DITE), Government of West Bengal. Major activities by WBEIDC involved:
- Promotion of IT Industries
- Infrastructure Development, Operation & Management
- Medical Equipment Maintenance activities
- Supply, Installation, Maintenance of IT Hardware & Networking equipment and Implementation of IT Projects for Government Department
- Animation Academy
- Cyber Security Activities
- Initiatives on Emerging Technologies
- Training & Skill Building
- Product Design & Manufacturing
Webel Technology Ltd (WTL)
Webel Technology Ltd(WTL), a Govt. of West Bengal Undertaking under the control of Department of Information Technology & Electronics is an ISO 9001:2015, ISO/IEC 27001:2013 and CMMI Level 5 certified e-Governance Solutions Provider. WTL is the State Nodal Agency (SNA) & State Implementing Agency (SIA) for all e-Governance related activities in the State. WTL was incorporated in April 2001 and since the last five years, WTL has shown a stupendous growth and is one of the fastest growing Government Undertakings.
WTL has partnered with the State Government in all its major e-Governance initiatives like creation of WBSWAN, MPLS-VPN connectivity up to Block levels, Integrated Financial Management System, e-Recruitment initiatives , e-Reservation for various State Transport Corporations, e-Registration of Land Deeds, e-Governance initiatives of the Directorate of Commercial Taxes ( e-Registration, e-Amendment, e-Payment, e-Return, e-Refund, e-Appeal, e-Forms, e-STDS & DMS), Digitization of all legacy Land records and Modernization of Record Rooms up to Block level and implementation of Incident Response System along with setting up of State-of-the-art Emergency Operation Centre for the Department of Disaster Management etc.
The Society for Natural Language Technology Research (SNLTR)
The Society for Natural Language Technology Research (SNLTR), Kolkata, a research and development organization under the Department of IT&E. The activities and achievements of SNLTR are classified into four categories:
- Development of Language Tools & Technology – Technologies to enable use of computers in local languages.
- Development of Online Literary and Linguistic Resources – Focused on making the literary resources available to the users in a standardized and computer-searchable form. Availability of a large and clean corpus of language resources in standardized form is a necessity in development of modern day technology, such as machine translators, question-answering systems etc.
- Development of Technology for Differently-abled People – Technologies to enable education and communication of the visually impaired and other differently-abled people who need special support.
- Development of IT enabled educational tools (E-Books and CBTs) – Development of interactive, self-taught, Computer Aided Instruction tools using multimodal technology for the children.
Institute for Open Technology & Applications (IOTA)
IOTA a society formed under Department of Information Technology and Electronics, Government of West Bengal, has begun its journey in early 2008. Primarily aim has been promotion and adoption of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in the state and making people aware of its advantages. IOTA also endeavors to assemble the fragments FOSS community in one platform and thereby strengthen the movement towards a noble cause. IOTA has a major focus on school education using Free and Open Source Software and conducts regular training programs in various FOSS applications. Additionally, IOTA occasionally conducts awareness programs. Objectives of these kind of awareness programs are to create awareness of FOSS in the state and to inform people about its suitability for sustainable development of the country. The objectives of the Society will be:
- To create a support system for encouraging the adoption of open source/open standards.able to the users in a standardized and computer-searchable form. Availability of a large and clean corpus of language resources in standardized form is a necessity in development of modern day technology, such as machine translators, question-answering systems etc.
- To provide training on open source and open standards to industry, academia, Government organizations and others.
- To develop applications based on open standards and foster development of such applications.
- To promote open standards and provide a platform for advocacy of such technologies.
- To work in the area of local language content based on open standards.
- To provide certification programs of acquired abilities in the area of open technologies.
- To provide an inventory of applications based on open source for wider dissemination and adoption.
- To conduct baseline audits in various organizations in order to prepare them for adoption of open technologies.
- To development standards relating to open technologies.
- To conduct Workshops / Conferences / Seminars on allied topics.
- To publish Newsletters/ Journals.
- To collaborate with other Institutes / Research organizations / Universities / Professional Bodies / Industries / Voluntary Organizations and others for mutual interest and benefit.
- Work in any other area that the Executive Committee may deem fit.